Moin,

On Sunday 29 January 2006 10:09, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:02:41AM +0100, Tels wrote:
> > Moin,

> > >   What is actually happening on ppm.activestate.com, is that only
> > > modules that pass all their unit tests are packaged for the general
> > > public. IMHO this is a great idea, since then people who are "ppm
> > > installing" stuff from activestate repoes can be reasonably(*)
> > > confident that the package will work on their system.
> >
> > [snip a bit]
> >
> > Yes, but most modules shouldn't (or don't) fail tests. And yet
> > Math::Big for instance can't be build by ActiveState for linux :-/
> >
> > It would be good if first pure-perl modules that don't require much
> > to work (like Math::BigInt::foo) could be made to work :)
> >
> > See here:
> >
> > http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-linux/linux-5.8/Math-BigIn
> >t-Constant-1.06.txt
> >
> > That shouldn't happen.
>
> Yikes, that's perl 5.8.0!  What is that about?
>
> Looking in the
> http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-linux/linux-5.8/ directory,
> I don't even see any attempt to build the required newer version of
> Math-BigInt.  Very strange.

Well, that happens when you build binaries. For a fixed environment, there
really is no chance either to maintain more than one (Suse 8.2, suse 9.1,
suse 9.2, activestate 5.6, activestate 5.8.0, activestate 5.8.1), or
build for the common bottomline.

That their build system doesn't stop when it encounteres failing
dependencies is another matter :)

(I started to use PREREQ_FAIL => 1 in all my Makefile.PLs to stop people
from continuing with make/make test/make install when the dependencies
are not met. When I say I need foobar-1.05, I need it.)

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Sun Jan 29 11:52:21 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "...no one would risk manipulating votes in an election because it's
 against the law and carries a heavy penalty..." -- Diebold spokesman
 David Bear