Moin,

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 06:50, chromatic wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 20:40, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> > Incremental releasing is a toolchain problem.
[snip a good comparisation]

> I don't say this often, but that really doesn't seem scalable to me.
> If I have to re-release a distribution because of a bug in the build
> system that users can't upgrade on their own, the build system sucks
> for my purposes.

And now you understand why I am angry that users updating their YAML to
the newest version couldn't install my modules because YAML changed and I
had to release new versions of all of them (or tell the users to
downgrade their YAML, or wait for a new YAML and then upgrade it).

I can mitigate this by not using YAML. So I could use Module:Install
instead and find myself in the very same boat - I have to hope that the
bundled version of Module::Install will work on whatever system the user
has. (I think it will, but so I though YAML will :-D

Now, I know Module::Install is an outstanding piece of work, and while it
does have the "bundling" issue, it should also be noted that the other
two options aren't much better as my YAML problem (and the Module::Build
dependency) show.

You basically have to hope that the user's system has the tools to install
your module.

At the end of the day, it comes down to who has the work, and the ability
to fix this. If my users can fix things on their end, it removes the
dependency on my (and my free time and energy). If I can fix things for
them, it removes the dependency on their time and energy.

I see myself as a solution provider, and I want my modules as small, lean,
correct and easy to use as possible. If I can save 5 minutes, but create
a bigger download/workload/system requirements for all my users, well, I
would not do that.

So, it comes down to find a compromise. If I spend all day long arguing
install methodologies and fiddle with my Makefile.PLs, I am not writing
code. So less talk and more code from me :)

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Jan 31 18:24:56 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Let's say there are a thousand. But there are 284 million people in
 this country. You can't have public policy that is aimed at 100,000
 people when the other multi-multi-millions are also involved. You can't
 do it that way." - Jack Valenty in http://tinyurl.com/2y65n