Adam Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Write this up. Then exhaustively test it on every single Perl platform
> (50ish?) and every Perl version back to 5.004, including a random
> collection similarly weird combinations (5.004 VMS, "that" 5.6.0 from
> RedHat 7, 5.6.1 on Windows 95).

        I let testers.cpan.org and ppm.activestate.com take care of that.

> Then make sure the code is so clean and complete you'll never need add
> another lines of code or tweak the docs.

        That's difficult, which is why nearly every core perl module has a
newer version available on CPAN...

> Then lets think about adding a new compulsory near-core dependency.

        Ok, so Chris and I were getting a bit too excited about the idea. :)

        A new module doesn't need to be added to the core, so long as there
is a way that we can reliably detect when a person wishes to build and test
any given perl package for an objectively unselfish purpose such as
1:prepackaging, 2:automated testing, or 3:releasing. All three are viral so
it's best to make sure they do no harm, while still maintaining some level
of convenience for the "end user".

        There's already AUTOMATED_TESTING for 2 and "make disttest" for #3
(just keep a file around in your repo that's not in your MANIFEST and test
for it's presence.)

        Any good way to detect #1?

        And now that I think about it, I'm not so convinced about that whole
"concenience for the end user" nonsense. If they're mucking about installing
perl modules from the CPAN packages by themself, they're probably developers
that need some extra time to sit there and think about what sort of madness
they're getting themselves into anyway.

                - Tyler