Offer Kaye writes:

> I see what you mean... what threw me off was that [List::Util and
> Scalar::Util are] not listed under:
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.8.8/

Well spotted!  List/Util.pm (including pod) is here:

  http://search.cpan.org/src/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.8/ext/List/Util/lib/List/Util.pm

Math::Complex (for instance) is included in the above list;
Math/Complex.pm is here:

  http://search.cpan.org/src/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.8/lib/Math/Complex.pm

So it seems the extra level of subdirectories are causing List::Util
(and a whole bunch of other modules) not to show up in the main perl
dist page.

Is Cpan Search's heuristic for what gets included documented anywhere?
In other words, is it that perl5.8.8 is failing in some way to meet some
published criteria for distributions to have modules listed; or is it
that no such spec exists and therefore perl5.8.8's dist is reasonable,
it's just that Cpan Search isn't sufficiently thorough in looking for
places where modules might be hiding?

I note that Kobes's Search doesn't have List::Util listed on the Perl
distro page either:

  http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/perl

The code behind that is available, so we can presumably look to see what
the heuristic is ...

Smylers