I'd like to have a crack at rephrasing this, since everyone but
stevan seems to be getting the wrong impression.

Perl 6 has some hard to answer questions. The questions the
community has answered so far are:

        * How the VM will work/look
        * What the syntax/feature requirements are

If we ignore pugs for a second.

These are though questions to answer, and I have no criticism
whatsoever that they took long to answer.

Development speed is *NOT* what this post was about.

What I do think is that there is something in the middle of these
two big questions, and they are:

        * How will the Perl 6 compiler be designed (parts, etc)
        * What are the definitions of some of the standard features
          mentioned in the Synopses ( S29 is a good start, but we need
          more than the standard perlfunc)

If we let Perl 6 continue to grow organically we will have answers
to these questions, but we will likely invest lots of effort in
trial and error.

I think that some of these questions can be answered based on some
up front design, thinking, and decision making, thus helping us
direct our trial and error efforts towards a more defined goal.

Furthermore, I think this has important implications on the quality
of the implementation of the Perl 6 compiler and standard library,
and that we should start worrying about that too.

The second (much larger) part of the post contains a sort of draft,
if you will, of what I think can be a good start towards trying to
answer these questions.

Thanks

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /methinks long and hard, and runs away: neeyah!!!