> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006  Andy Dougherty wrote:

[svn co on Solaris 8 is painfully *slow*]

> $ time wget http://cvs.perl.org/snapshots/parrot/parrot-latest.tar.gz
>
> real    0m16.84s
> user    0m0.09s
> sys     0m0.20s
>
> $ time svn co http://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk parrot-trunk
>
> real  2:01:50.3
> user     1:02.0
> sys        44.9
>
> It's something specific to svn.  No, I don't know what.
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.1.3 (r12730)
>    compiled Mar 31 2005, 13:19:13

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.  Here's a summary of what I
found:

jerry gay:

> can't hurt to upgrade...

It didn't hurt (too much), but, alas, it didn't help either.

Matt Fowles:

>    Do you, perchance, sit behind an http proxy server?
>
>    Try:
>    time svn co https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk parrot-trunk

Me:

> svn: Unrecognized URL scheme 'https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk'
>
>    I don't know why.  I have OpenSSL installed in /usr/local where
>    svn should have found it when building.

Bob Rogers:

> I had the same problem just last week.  To fix it, I upgraded to
> Subversion 1.3.0 from the tarball, and discovered that you don't get
> HTTPS support unless you explicitly specify the "--with-ssl" option to
> configure, which I hadn't realized when I installed 1.1.3.

Alas that didn't work.  Even presetting CCFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and every
other sort of flags I could find documented, and passing all the
--with-xxx options specifying the full path locations to OpenSSL,
the build process would find it using the C compiler, but then trample
on the CPPFLAGS and fail to find them with the preprocessor, and then
conclude that I didn't have OpenSSL installed (even though it had just
successfully correctly identified my OpenSSL version in the previous
step!)

Much painful hand editing of configure scripts and makefiles later, it
turns out that the http: vs. https: stuff doesn't make any
significant difference.  Oh well.

Running svn under truss didn't help either -- no particular type of
syscall stood out as being slow.

Executive summary -- svn co on Solaris 8 is still *slow*!  I"ll stick
to fetching snapshots with wget.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]