On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:31:04AM -0500, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Steve Peters wrote:
>
> > Thanks to the work that's already been done, it was very easy to get NetBSD
> > up
> > and running.  The attached patch is all that's needed to add NetBSD support
> > Parrot.
>
> I don't know the answer myself, but I was wondering:  Have all the various
> *BSD distributions drifted apart far enough that it makes sense to
> maintain completely independent hints and platform directories for each?

FreeBSD is certainly different from NetBSD and OpenBSD.  Those two are
fairly close, but differ in support for various reentrant functions,
when threading became part of the libc, etc.  Overall, they are very
close.  As far as DragonflyBSD, BSDI (officially dead), PC-BSD, etc.,
I've not used any of them, so, I can't really say where they should
fall.

It partially comes down to how the directories are structured.  The
current structure is very logical and makes it easy to find where all
the code is coming from.  Merging them together, of course, reduces the
overall lines of code.  I guess it depends on what makes Parrot
easier to maintain and develop.

Steve Peters
[EMAIL PROTECTED]