"Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yup, and I really, really don't like the idea of making our bytecode format non-portable. Part of the point of having a VM is portability, right?

The described mapping doesn't have any PBC portability issues AFAIK. If 'L' is mapping to 'I' or not is chosen at runtime.

Wouldn't the required re-writing blow away the wins we get through mmap'ing in bytecode files? Not that JIT doesn't hurt a little there anyway, but at least you can choose not to do that if you care about memory usage more than speed...

Jonathan