# New Ticket Created by  Will Coleda
# Please include the string:  [perl #38733]

In an effort to get APL working, I first have to be able to read an
APL program into memory, which means unicode operators.

As I'm modifying ponie, I end up with something like:

.sub _slurp_file
     .param string filename
     .local pmc filehandle
     filehandle = open filename, "<"
     push filehandle, 'utf8'
     unless filehandle goto err_no_file
     $S1 = read filehandle, 65535
     close filehandle
     $I99 = charset $S1
     $S99 = charsetname $I99
     print "source is "
     print $S1
     print "\n"
     print "charset of source is: "
     print $S99
     print "\n"
     .return ($S1)
.end

This compiles, prints out what looks like the right source code
(which at the moment is neither punie nor APL: "print 2²10;")

But the charset that's listed is ascii. I need to be able to read in
the utf8 encoded file and have it recognized as such by parrot.

It would also be helpful to have badly-specified IO filters generate
an exception. (utf8 doesn't appear to since it's supported for
*output*. using "monkeys" as the filter generates the slightly more
helpful: 'Layer not found').