I just found http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Strict,
which was written by one of my co-workers.  Among
other cool things, it has a C<syntax_ok> function
which does the same thing.  It still uses backticks
and redirection which may not be too portable, but it
will suit my needs.  Still, a C<compile_ok> function
seems like a sensible addition to the Test::More
package.  Thanks for the feedback everyone.

-Jeff