On 3/17/06, David Golden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Adam Kennedy wrote:
> > The only problem with this is that it only deals with CPAN.pm itself.
> >
> > The problem with locked files is wider than this.
> >
> > Imagine for example that you have Windows mod_perl or some other
> > long-running program holding a lock on the modules.
>
> I realized that complication, but plenty of Windows installers already
> warn you to close all open programs before upgrading.  That's not an
> unrealistic expectation for users on Windows.
>
> > So I'd like to see where we get to once the new ExtUtils::Install is out
> > and we can install properly, and then if there are still problems after
> > that, we take the next step.
>
> That's good news. I hope the Schwern bottleneck clearly up soon.

The point i was making is that it isnt actually necessary for Schwern
to do anything for you to enjoy the benefits of the new Install code.
The thing that isnt possible right now is to say

  cpan> install ExtUtils::Install

but if you say

  cpan> install YVES/ex-ExtUtils-Install-1.3701.tar.gz

the you are cooking, with gas, right now. :-)

And to be honest the package could use a bit of a workout so I
encourage people to try it out.

cheers,
Yves