On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 03:10:31PM +0200, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2006, at 5:11, Patrick R.Michaud (via RT) wrote:
>
> >I'm running a fresh checkout of r12014.  I wrote a simple test
> >program (t.pir attached) that uses "dumper.pir" to dump the
> >contents of one of PGE's internal variables.  On my 64-bit
> >environment (SUSE 10 Professional Linux) I get very strange
> >output and the strings appear to have been corrupted.  On
> >my 32-bit environment, the output is exactly as I would
> >expect it to be.
>
> I've tried that with r12014 on an amd64/linux box. Dump is the same as
> with 32bit. There must be more than just running it on 64-bit. You
> could further test:
>
> $ ./parrot -G t.pir >d           # does it work with DOD/GC off?
> $ ./parrot --gc-debug t.pir >d   # is it worse?
> $ ./parrot -D40 t.pir >d         # fill I/N regs with garbage

With "-G" I get the correct output -- the other two fail the same
as when no options are present.

> You should also verify that you don't have some installed old copies of
> parrot in your path.

I never run "make install" on my system, so it's unlikely there
are old copies lying around.  But just to be sure, I removed all
copies of parrot from my system and re-ran the tests and obtained
the same results.

I agree it looks like a GC bug, and not anything x86_64 specific.
It appears my x86_64 system is just good at flushing those out.  :-)

Pm