Moin,

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 01:50, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >OTOH, who still runs pre-5.8.x code deserves what they get.
> > >
> > >There are horrible bugs in older Perls, and I don't know why people
> > >still
> > >insist using insecure, buggy and feature-lacking code like 5.6. or
> > > even gasp 5.004. Just think "Unicode support", "hash
> > > randomization", "memory leaks".
>
>       FWIW I've heard at least one valid argument for sticking with 5.6,
> and that actually is unicode support. :-)
>
>       Apparently, in 5.6 regular expressions don't have full unicode
> support. But in 5.8 the regexp unicode stuff is expensive. And to make
> matters worse, if anything in any package that you import uses unicode,
> the new, slower unicode regular expression algorithm is applied to
> *everything* and there's no easy way to turn that off.
>
>       This is just a nasty rumour I'm sure, but I've heard it multiple
> times from multiple people. I like to stay on the cutting edge and if
> my regexps are too slow, I'll find some other way to do it. :-)

Which is fine if you live in ASCII land. Herr Müller paying € 150 to Mr. ☺
唐鳳☻ might not share your view. :)

OTOH, since the introduction of 5.6, hardware has gotten faster and
cheaper, so the slower, but actually working Unicode processing in 5.8
might something you actually want :D

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Apr  4 19:33:08 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Ivonna Humpalot"