HaloO,

Larry Wall wrote:
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:41:30PM +0200, TSa wrote:
: I'm unsure what the outcome of the recent long dot discussions is
: as far as the range operator is concerned.

.. is always the range operator.  The "dot wedge" just has a discontinuity
in it there.  I can't think of any wedgey applications that wouldn't work
about as well by starting the wedge with $x. .y instead of $x.y.

Doesn't that discontinuity devalue the long dot? Its purpose is alignment in the first palce. For a one char diff in length one
now needs

   foo.  .bar;
   self. .bar;

instead of

   foo .bar;
   self.bar;

with the rules as before long dot was invented. Why are calls
on the topic so important? Wouldn't it be cleaner to force
a leading zero in numeric literals?

I might be to blind to see it, but could someone give some
examples where the cleanliness of the new parsing is obvious?
I mean compared to the old rules, not counting intended calls
on topic.