On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 06:30:20PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Last time I checked the core has "6 TESTS UNEXPECTEDLY SUCCEEDED"
> What's the expected number of unexpected successes?
> Can it be made to be zero, even though we're testing the test modules?
>
> If so, I think that that would be useful, as it would mean that any (real)
> TODO test that unexpectedly started passing would be noticed.
>
> I bring this up because we seem to have inadvertently fixed really old regexp
> bugs that we didn't have a test case for, but I realise that right now adding
> TODO tests wouldn't actually have been *that* useful - if a TODO passes we
> don't notice.
>
> It would be good if we were in a position to notice. I'm not sure how much
> work that would be.

One of my unwritten TODOs is to go through the current Perlbug queue and
write test cases for all the currently testable problems.  My hope is
that unexpected fixes would be caught much sooner in these cases.  I've
made a bit of a start on this, and given tuits (or proper financial
motivation) I'm hoping to finish it sometime this year.  Of course,
writing new test cases for new tickets as they come in would help this
task immensely.

In the long term, however, it would be great if Test::Harness recognized
individual TODO test cases that passed and reported on them.  Maybe this
would be worthy of a Summer of Code project, or it may actually be
something much easier and basic that a normal grant would work for this.

Steve Peters
[EMAIL PROTECTED]