On Sun, 21 May 2006, James Peregrino wrote:

> You folks took me too literally :)  I meant:  Given a system without
> pugs/parrot/haskell (I assume perl5 is required), what are the things you
> need to install so that you can say
>
> perl6 -e "say 'hello world'"
>
> i.e.
>
> tar xf ghc.tar.gz
> ./configure
> make
> make install

To build GHC, you need a pre-existing, relatively recent version of GHC.
Cross-compiling GHC is documented fairly carefully, but I haven't tried it
myself.  There are pre-built binaries available for a few of the most
common architecture/operating system combinations.

> tar xf parrot.tar.gz
> make
> make test
> make install

Here too, the core developers only have access to a limited set of
architecture/operating system combinations.  In principle, parrot ought to
build and run just fine on many of the places where perl 5 currently does.
In practice, it doesn't.  Patches to make it do so would likely be
welcome.

> tar xf pugs.tar.gz
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install

I've never made it past the haskell barrier, so I can't comment on how
well this works.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]