BEEP-BEEP - for some reason, every time i hit "Reply" my reply is sent
to the poster and not to the list. Is the bug in my mailer (GMail), my
head, or the list server?

See replies below.

On 5/30/06, Darren Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 10:56 AM +0300 5/30/06, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>but as my 2 cents, i'd like to point out that i was always pissed off
>to read about fine modules in the Perl Cookbook and Damian's Best
>Practices only to find out that i have to download them from CPAN.
>Rule of thumb: If a module is good enough to be recommended
>by an important Perl book, then it should be considered for standard
>distribution too.

As I recall, it is Larry's wish that the standard distribution for
Perl 6 be quite small, so that people are encouraged to use CPAN.
And I agree.
Part of this is accomplished by rolling a lot of the functionality of
those modules into Perl 6 itself, rather than being extensions.  Eg,
the functionality of modules like 'Readonly' would be built-in.

... Which is great. I wasn't talking just about Readonly. A lot of the
fine functionality of modules discussed in the animal books will
indeed be built-in (or irrelevant!) in Perl 6, but by Perl 6.2
wonderful new ones will arise which will be recommended by wonderful
future editions of the animal books.

Also, mind that i'm presenting a user perspective, which is what this
list is supposed to be.

Particularly, anything complicated and/or in an open-ended domain
should be separate on CPAN.  Modules for talking to databases (DBI),
web servers (CGI, LWP),

As a user who also happens to be a perl advocate i think that a
built-in-and-robust-but-not-too-big "connectivity bundle" - HTTP,
LDAP, SNMP, SSH, DBI - will be great for telling people what a great
glue Perl is. As a mere user i think that it will be quite useful too.

As for CGI, it's really becoming less important with all the modern
content management systems and can retire to CPAN.

processing complex things like dates and
times (DateTime), and various other external things should remain
separate.

Actually i'd love to see something like Perl5's Date::PCalc in the std
distribution.

In fact, i thought about trying to translate it to Perl6 as an
exercise and was going to ask the list whether it would be a good idea
(good mainly means "not redundant").

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni, http://aharoni.blogspot.com/
"We're living in pieces,