Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:39:06 -0500, Ken Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

  > On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:47 PM, David Golden wrote:

 >> Some potential options:
 >> something that CPAN sites recognize.
 >> real user of META.yml no_index, then the pain should be minimal.
 >> distributions' current indexing.

  > Randy Sims keeps some statistics on the META.yml files that exist on
  > CPAN, perhaps he could tell us the relative frequencies of 'dir' vs.
  > 'directory' in the wild?

The page is there, http://thepierianspring.org/perl/meta/, but does
not provide direct statistics so I made up my own.

Now it does. ;)

no_index/dir             13
no_index/directory     1397
private/directory        40

My numbers are a bit different since I count only the most recent version of each distro rather than every occurrence on CPAN.

Hmm, it looks like there is a strong correspondence between distros using 'directory' and distros produced by Module::Install. There goes Adam, breaking rules and rebelling against established conventions.

Hehe. Just kidding. I think I like 'directory' better myself anyway.

Randy.