Shlomi Fish n wrote:

I don't see using the X11 licence for my software as anti-social. Like I said,

But it is. You are forcing people to spend some of their precious time to understand the ramifications of this different license, and consider the differences between it and the GPL and AL.

anyone can easily fork it as a software of a different licence. It's also

Again, you are forcing people to expend effort for what could otherwise be a non-issue.

more permissive than the GPL+Artistic licence (and much less problematic than the Artistic 1.0 licence, which some people don't even consider as free-as-in-speech.)

That's their problem.

So far I've released all the software (Perl or otherwise) for which I had a choice under the Public Domain or X11 licence.

Personally, I'm happy enough to sign my modules as "licenced under the same terms as Perl itself", thereby letting other people deal with a matter for which I have next to no interest in.

My own take on this is that even if your code was better, I wouldn't use it, since I couldn't be sure that my use of it may in some way violate its terms. At least I know where I stand with the GPL and AL.

Life is short, and the less I have to think about licensing issues, the better.

David

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bottom 5%.

Indeed.

--
Much of the propaganda that passes for news in our own society is given to immobilising and pacifying people and diverting them from the idea that they can confront power. -- John Pilger