----- Original Message ----
From: Michael G Schwern

> There currently is no escape syntax defined in TAP.  Test::Harness
> understands \# only with respect to descriptions.
>
> http://perl-qa.yi.org/index.php/TAP_escape_syntax

Regarding the questions posed on the Wiki:

  Should we canonicalize this syntax?
  Is there a better escape syntax?

 Yes, keep this syntax.  People are going to put hash marks in their
descriptions and breaking something which didn't previously break is bad.

I doubt there is a better escape syntax for two reasons.  One, the current
behavior is understood and changing to a different escape syntax could have
unintended consequences for current tests suites. Two, it's a widely recognized
and accepted escape syntax and that makes it easy for people to see and
understand.

Finally, if TODO and SKIP directives are case-insensitive to maintain backwards
compatibility with Test::Harness, why wouldn't we keep the escaping for the
same reason?

Cheers,
Ovid