On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 01:16:47AM -1000, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
> When you say, "On x86_64" I think what your really mean is a "x86_64
> system with multilib support".

Right.

> You are correct that the current build system does not support
> multilib builds or installs (or at least it didn't the last time I
> looked at it several months ago).

Which is fine, if I could just override "lib".  It sort of works
now...  The libraries get installed in /usr/lib64, but /usr/lib/parrot
is also created, which wouldn't be a big deal if it was
arch-independent stuff (although then technically it should be
/usr/share/parrot), but /usr/lib/parrot/dynext has arch-dependent
files...

> While I don't have a recent Fedora build to look at I'd bet that
> /usr/lib64 on your system is actually a link to /usr/lib while
> /usr/lib32 is a separate directory.  So there shouldn't be any issue
> with installing under /usr/lib.  Is this the case?

No.  i386 packages have exclusive use of lib.  All x86_64 packages
install in lib64.

In an ideal world, the layout that would be best for a multilib Linux
system would probably be something like this:

  /usr/lib64/libparrot.*
  /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/
  /usr/lib64/parrot/dynext/
  /usr/share/parrot/include/
  /usr/share/parrot/library/
  /usr/include/parrot/
  /usr/bin/*

What I have now is this:

  /usr/lib64/libparrot.*
  /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/
  /usr/lib/parrot/dynext/
  /usr/lib/parrot/include/
  /usr/lib/parrot/library/
  /usr/include/parrot/
  /usr/bin/*

That's after overriding lib_dir...

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.kspei.com/