# New Ticket Created by  Patrick R. Michaud
# Please include the string:  [perl #39930]

Found this bug while doing stuff --without-icu today...

Concatenation of a unicode string with an ASCII string
works even if ICU isn't available.

Concatenation of a unicode string with a Unicode string
works even if ICU isn't available.

Concatenation of a unicode string with an iso-8859-1 string
fails with "no ICU lib loaded" if ICU isn't available.

Sample program:

    $ cat x.pir
    .sub main
        # works
        $S0 = unicode:"A"
        $S1 = ascii:"B"
        $S2 = concat $S0, $S1
        print $S2
        print "\n"

        # works
        $S0 = unicode:"A"
        $S1 = unicode:"B"
        $S2 = concat $S0, $S1
        print $S2
        print "\n"

        # fails
        $S0 = unicode:"A"
        $S1 = iso-8859-1:"B"
        $S2 = concat $S0, $S1
        print $S2
        print "\n"
    .end
    $ ./parrot x.pir
    AB
    AB
    no ICU lib loaded
    current instr.: 'main' pc 34 (x.pir:16)
    $

I'll add this as a test when I have the RT#.

Pm