Am Sonntag, 30. Juli 2006 08:58 schrieb chromatic:
> Here's a patch (for discussion, but I'll apply it if there are no
> objections) to add a stringy IO layer and to fix a few typos.

Looks as a good base to start [1] with, and ...

> --- cage cleaners bait starts here ---

[ ... ]

... yep, indeed.

The whole IO layer system was totally static, when I started trying to extend
it a bit. It's still lacking a lot of flexibility and it needs some
rewriting.

Before doing so, we'd need some clarification though, mainly: which structures
are/can be shared amongst threads? How does IO look like with multiple
interpreters using e.g. stdout?

Another problem currently is that the STDIO layer can't be used concurrently
with the low-level OS layer due to compile-time #ifdefs. I think that the
STDIO layer should always be present - likely as the lowest layer in the
stack.

leo

[1] A nice extension would be seekability by managing the current r/w
position.