Am Samstag, 12. August 2006 17:55 schrieb Bob Rogers:
>    From: Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>    See "Method Overloading and GC Issues" in Cfunc.pod. The only way
>    IMHO to avoid this problem is to run GC at "safe" points at the
>    runloop level . . .
>
> Had you considered keeping track of object references from C variables
> explicitly?

Ah, yep. I forget about that. It was discussed (and discarded) some years ago
and is also documented:

$ perldoc docs/dev/infant.pod

  Solution 3: Explicit root set augmentation
         Variant 1: Temporarily anchor objects

>    There is one pressing question, though:  I had intended to use the
> continuation-tailcalling mechanism from the POC to eliminate inferior
> runloops from stack rewinding, as the logical next step in my campaign
> to clean up dynamic environment support.  Should I wait for a more
> complete Cfunc.pod design, or should I proceed in the expectation that
> the continuation-tailcalling mechanism isn't likely to change that much?

I dunno yet. A general "continuation-tailcalling mechanism" could still be
needed for all stuff that just can't be (easily) forced into the runloop like
a user-defined "sort" function. OTOH, if all is done properly, we might only
have a few special cases, which could be handled as such.

>                                       -- Bob

leo