On Aug 23, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 02:24:45PM -0400, Will Coleda wrote:

To sum up: for now, I'm working on being able to support:

 $(addprefix runtime/builtin,$(notdir $(wildcard languages/tcl/
runtime/builtin/*.pir)))

Which looks like gmake, but will be expanded at config time: once we
fixup where/when language makefiles are generated, this will simplify
to:

 $(wildcard runtime/builtin/*.pir)

I think it's a mistake to use a make-like syntax. That's just going to lead to maintenance confusion down the road. Someone, someday is going to change
it thinking that's it's just GNU make syntax.

I agree, that could be an issue, but we can easily have this syntax generate an exception if an unexpected keyword is generated. I'll see if I can add that to my work in progress.

This particular tradeoff of maintenance confusion on makefiles is a step in the right direction, IMO.

Why don't you just embed blocks of Perl code instead of inventing a new
syntax?

The whole point of using the gmake syntax is that it is the opposite of "inventing a new syntax". It is reusing the portions we need from an existing syntax.

As to just using perl: that makes it more complicated for the people who have to maintain the rules, by requiring more code to do the same thing, and then duplicating that code across N uses in M makefiles.

That said, I don't particularly care about the actual syntax as long as I can declare these sorts of things with a minimal fuss. But in place of a decision from Chip, I'll go with this for now.

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]