John Siracusa wrote:
On 8/23/06 4:09 PM, Aaron Sherman wrote:
here's the problem with that: llvm is a very light layer, but it's yet another
layer. To put it between parrot and hardware would mean that parrot is JITing
to LLVM byte-code, which is JITing to machine code. Not really ideal.

...unless LLVM does a much better job of native code generation than the
existing Parrot code, that is.  Optimization seems to be LLVM's "thing."

Keep in mind that you're not talking about some HLL generating LLVM bytecode. You're talking about Parrot reading in Parrot byte code, JITing to LLVM and then going through that dance again. The amount of lossage in those layers of translation simply cannot be worth whatever the difference is between LLVM optimization and Parrot's JIT, since Parrot will already have generated code that makes it MORE difficult to optimize.

I'll buy it if I see numbers, but I'm highly skeptical.