From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:26:30 -0400

   As a random alternative, I note that Ruby's analog to grep is called
   "find_all" (though it also has a "grep" that behaves differently from
   Perl's).  Personally, I'm not enamored of "filter" because it has
   connotations of removal...

Hmm.  Is this because Perl 5 grep can be used to modify a list in place?
Does Perl 6 grep also allow that?  The Lisp equivalent is remove-if-not,
which otherwise seems like a perfect description of what Perl grep does.

   On 9/19/06, Jonathan Scott Duff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   > . . .
   >
   > That said, I'm in favor of the term "filter" because, as Damian
   > mentioned, that term is used in several other languages.

In that vein, "select" from SQL should also be mentioned.  (I'm not so
sure that "filter" is broadly standard, as Damian asserts, but maybe I
haven't used enough languages.)

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/