Hi,

At the moment, if you have some ParrotObject instance, say foo, and do something like:

 $S0 = foo

Then $S0 will contain the name of the class. This is BAD because it means you can't overload what a class stringifies too! In fact, there is a comment in the code saying that:

/*

=item C<STRING *name()>

Shortcut for .class().name()

XXX - this is bad and should go

=cut

*/

So, I want to get rid of this and allow this v-table method to just dispatch to a user implementation or a fallback. But before I do that, I wanted to check if anyone is relying on the behavior? I'd really rather not break working code without giving folks a chance to fix it, but this behavior needs to die. I'm amazed, nobody has killed it already.

I propose this is removed in a week, please respond if you'd have an issue with that or think that's too short.

Thanks,

Jonathan