It's really not a big deal, though. For the immediate problem, let's
just make an exception and leave the hints out of Perl files with
__END__ or __DATA__ blocks.
Sounds good.  I can update the Perl::Critic policy, and make a note in pdd07.

Mark it as a cage cleaner task for some point down the road: figure out
how to encourage good formatting habits, without assuming that everyone
uses emacs or vim, and with minimal clutter in our source code.
This is a good idea.  Some kind of repository-wide hints thingy would
be great, but if we can't do that now it's not a big problem.

Apologies about the amount of dust this topic threw up - I just wanted
to close the ticket for bug day.  :-/  Nevertheless, thanks everyone
for their comments, it seems it wasn't such a simple problem to solve
after all.

Regards,

Paul