Aldo Calpini wrote:
Allison Randal ha scritto:
We do. Unfortunately we can't rely on Perl 5 for the configure system. It may seem like an easy way to gain cross-compilation in the short term, but in the long term it will hurt us.

Miniparrot is the right way to go. It certainly needs work, though. As you're thinking of solutions think of what miniparrot would need to become cross-compiler aware.

ok. I can't say that that I fully understand why, but I trust you.

Well, we can't depend on Perl 5 because we're replacing it. And truly cross-platform configuration and build tools are hard to find, especially when you really want the same kind of dynamic features we're used to in Perl. Miniparrot has whatever platform compatibility and dynamic features we build into Parrot (or at least a functional subset of them).

I just sent a first patch today (which is small and mostly^W harmless), commenting what will be my next step(s).

I see the patch was applied. Looks good.

I have no "big plan" yet, it's just a configure-fix-patch-reconfigure cycle, so I try to approach obstacles as they pop out. when I come to the point that I will need a "stronger" patch, something that may impact the overall architecture, I intend to sit down and think about it for a while, write it down and submit it for your approval.

Good plan.

Allison