On Mar 4, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Alek Storm wrote:

For the same reason we have set_attr, set_attr_str, get_attr, and
get_attr_str, even though they're only used by ParrotObject - it allows for multiple, concurrent object systems. This goal is mentioned in PDD 15, in "What The Bytecode Sees". Why tie programmers into the default way of doing things? In Smalltalk, objects and classes work very differently, to the point where I have a wrapper object around every class. It would be a whole
lot easier if I could define my own class implementation.

But part of the point of parrot is dynamic language interoperability. Will perl6 and tcl be able to use that new class implementation without a problem, and could you use perl6 and tcl classes and objects? This of course assumes the language gets the added functionality to import stuff across HLL's. There are times where different languages make coding different aspects of a large program easier, so people might want to use, say, perl for the string comparison, tcl for the gui, and java for communicating over the network with a binary protocol. It's just a rough example, but nevertheless, that is the potential of parrot, without using weird embedding stuff.