Allison Randal wrote:
This is a leftover from the old days when the way to override a vtable method was to define a method with an '__' name, so they never conflicted.
Not really - this was a conflict in the names of the methods at a C level. The '__' prefix was a PIR-level thing. In PIR we may have moved away from using name mangling to prevent the conflict, but in C that's probably all we've got at our disposal. Note that name of method at a C level and name of the method for method lookups do not have to be at all related.

I expect this assumption will need to be rooted out in several other places as well, so its worth a thorough review for the PMC PDD.
Sure, I'm sure there's more than one way to deal with this issue, but for now this works and unblocks stuff.

Thanks,

Jonathan