On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:33:49PM -0500, Joshua Isom wrote:

> I'm running darwin, ppc.  The perl is 5.8.7 and was updated by me.  I
> don't think I've gotten perl to segfault in quite some time, and if I
> trust my crashreporter log, the problem almost always is in S_regmatch,
> but I'm not sure which file actually does the checking, too much
> inheritance runaround.

If it's a crash in S_regmatch that's usually due to a regular expression
going exponential and exhausting the C stack. In turn, that's usually due to
nested capturing parentheses, non-matching, and lots of backtracking.

Whilst the C stack crash is fixed in 5.9.x, those sorts of regexps can often
take an insane amount of time to realise that they aren't going to match,
so (assuming I'm right here) it means that it's likely that there's a
badly written (to the point of buggy) regexp in the pod checker.

Not that that really helps track it down.

Nicholas Clark