On Apr 20, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Andy Dougherty wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Patrick R. Michaud via RT wrote:

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 11:47:55AM -0700, Andy Dougherty wrote:

t/compilers/pge/p5regex/p5rx.............Parrot VM: PANIC: Out of mem!

I believe that both of these tests are currently being run with
the -G flag, which should mean that Parrot is not doing any garbage
collection:

    $ head -2 t/compilers/pge/p5regex/p5rx.t
    #!./parrot -G

Given the number of tests that run, I'm not too surprised
that they run out of memory when -G is present.

Ok, that makes sense.

This does prompt the question of removing -G from the tests,
but the last time I looked into doing this (about a month ago) Parrot
still had intermittent GC errors that would cause random
failures in the tests.  After a lot of discussion on the mailing
list and in #parrot I think it was decided that running the
tests with -G was preferable to having random test failures
showing up in the pge tests due to GC problems in Parrot.

That's fair enough.  With -G, I get to test 395 in p5regex/p5rx.t.
Without the -G, I memory usage still grows, and I only get to test 185
before getting the PANIC.  Running with --gc-debug, I only got to test
190. (The exact test number seems to fluctuate from run to run. However, since each test run of p5rx.t with garbage collection enabled takes over 7
minutes, I haven't done a lot of runs.)

As far as I know, --gc-debug doesn't actually do anything at all. How much ram do you have available when you start running the test? You might be doing a lot of swapping in and out of processes which is slowing things down a lot.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the report!

(Should we close this ticket?)

That's entirely up to you.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]