On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, James Keenan via RT wrote:

> A participant in this weekend's hackathon in Toronto posed this question:
>
> "Invoking the compiler on a simple source file, then checking that the
> generated code exists seems such an obvious test that there must be a
> fatal flaw in it. What am I missing?"

Almost nothing.  (Perl5's Configure has the test file generate some known
output and then checks for that output.)  See the lengthy discussion in
the RT ticket #41168.  In brief, the idea is sound, but the test needs to
be written with a great deal of defensive programming and error-checking.
chromatic made an excellent start, but it ran into some perl-5.6 vs.
perl-5.8 limitations.  I gather he's since been sidetracked by other
issues.

It'd be an excellent task for a perl programmer to take on.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]