Am Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2007 23:07 schrieb Andrew Dougherty:
> On Wed, 9 May 2007, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> > Ok, I've got it compiling, at least.  I'll let it run tests overnight and
> > submit a cleaned-up patch tomorrow.  I've gone back and reviewed the
> > alignment issue and think I have implemented it sanely.
>
> Hmm.  Rats.  My initial version required more invasive changes elsewhere
> (esp. in string.c and dod.c) than I'm comfortable with.  It still needs
> more work.

Well, I saw some patches [1] floating by which did remove
PObj_bufstart_external_FLAG. This flag was needed to sync the malloc-based
allocators with parrots (and COWs) understanding of a 'not owned' / external
buffer/string memory resource. COWed strings are not external to the
malloc-based GCs, they just have an increased ref-count.

I was never able to fix string allocation and COW in such a way that this flag
would be obsolete with GC_IS_MALLOC.

leo

[1] well it seems ;) that I've committed r10582 but this patch obviously
ignroed the GC_IS_MALLOC-cases. While having different allocators is nice,
it's really hard to test & sync them with the default one.