* Smylers ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [070616 09:09]:
> > * Damian Conway ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [070615 00:17]:
> > > * Pod 6 is both a structural and a semantic scheme; you can specify
> > >   both the structure of a document, and the meaning of its various
> > >   components
> >
> > Yes, and that is one of the things which worries me most *You can*.
> > It's full freedom,
>
> You're concerned that an aspect of Perl 6 might have too much freedom?
> Isn't Perl all about giving users freedom to choose their own way of
> doing something?

Why treat documentation as a second-class citizen all the time?  Why
have a standard syntax for regexes, and not for docs?  Aren't you glad
that at last we get a standard for OO programming and named parameters?
The boundary between freedom and anacharchy is faint.

> Yes.  But in reality many people will follow what others do, or look to
> follow best practices.  With Perl 5 you have complete freedom as to the
> names of C<=head1> sections in the Pod for modules, yet in browsing Cpan
> it's clear that there are conventions and many people use the same
> headings.  So not mandating a convention isn't much of a problem.

Well, the you are talking about the top three headers, the most.  And
those have a good example in standard UNIX manual-pages.  So: there
is a definitions for them, which most people have seen.

Look at how people document how methods should be called.  We, as
programmers, don't worry: we can read between the lines.  But most
"normal" programmers we hardly ever meet, have a hard time.  Is
"freedom" (in some definition) so important that consistency must
suffer?

> Do you really think that people can now, before Perl 6 has gained
> anything approaching the usage we expect, make policy for how things
> should be documented, such that that policy will be the best possible
> way of documenting everything written in Perl 6, for ever?  Or even a
> good way?

There is no need to think that a documentation syntax develops differently
than a programming language.  So when Perl is developing, POD can develop
in parallel.  And, of course, documentation is for most people a well
known area: at least, every program I wrote last 30 years had some form
of documentation. To find a kind of common base of features you need does
not require any knowledge about the language involved is quite simple.

> That strikes me as incredibly shortsighted, verging on arrogance by
> whoever comes up with the rules, and doomed to failure.

Sorry?  Not only you insult me, but you also ignore all these other
languages which do have a nice and standard way of documenting.
Insignificant languages, like Java, which we tend to ignore.  Also
Python, to name a closer neighbour.

It is incredibly shortsighted to think that any experienced programmer
would suggest a standard which cannot evolve, and adapt to variance
in needs.

What I suggest is at least some kind of suggestion how to denote the
things everyone certainly needs.  As I understand now, Damian is working
on that.

> If a particular convention gains widespread approval then peer pressure
> should encourage its use (in the same way that strict and warnings are
> currently optional in Perl 5, but in the absence of a good reason it's
> expected that they be used).

Well, "man Perl/BUGS" says:
       The -w switch is not mandatory.
So at least some people agree that there may need some more guidance.
Warnings default "on" is a good idea, just as giving people a good
default documentation strategy.
--
Regards,

               MarkOv

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]