On 01/07/07, Luke Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/1/07, Amir E. Aharoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > please correct me if
> > > i say something stupid or if this has already been discussed before.)
>
> > Another important loss if we were to go with <1..3> would be the
> > ability to have runtime-dependent ranges; e.g.:
> >
> >     / ($ntimes) x**{$ntimes} /
>
> That's exactly what i meant by "something stupid".

That's quite alright, because both interpretations of that sentence
were valid :-).  I meant:

    / $ntimes := (\d+) x**{$ntimes} /

Luke

Funny - how did it make sense to me the first time around? :)

This prompted me to re-read the parts about Subpattern captures and
Aliasing in S05, and i've got to say that it's *extreme* TMTOWTDI. I'm
happy about it, 'cause i've been wishing for named captures for a long
time, but i'm not sure that i understand it in your example
completely.

The examples of := usage in S05 seem to have notation such as this:
$<ntimes> := (\d+) ....

Is $ntimes supposed to be a predefined scalar variable (my $ntimes)?
Or a regex variable?

I'm getting confused ...