On 8/3/07, via RT Andy Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by  Andy Dougherty
>

> The new attributes scanning ought to use its own test_c.in file, instead
> of trying to piggy-back off existing test_c.in files.  The scheme in place
> has several problems:
>
> 1.  It has no fallback.  From attributes.pm, the following snippet:
>
>     if ( $cc =~ /gcc/ ) {
>         cc_gen('config/auto/gcc/test_c.in');
>     }
>     elsif ( $cc eq 'cl' ) {
>         cc_gen('config/auto/msvc/test_c.in');
>     }
> does nothing for other compilers.  Obviously, all the compiles fail,
> since no test.c file is generated.  I don't know, for example, if 'icc'
> handles attributes, or if it might in the future.
>
> 2.  The name of the compiler is not the best test of whether you are
> using gcc.  On Linux, for example, if you use Configure.pl --cc=cc, then
> this test,
>     if ( $cc =~ /gcc/ ) {
> fails, even though you are using gcc.  A better test is to check
> gccversion.
>
> 3.  The attributes testing is now duplicated in two test files,
> gcc/test_c.in and msvc/test_c.in.
>
> 4.  It's now potentially more difficult to use gcc/test_c.in for its
> intended use.  For example, the Solaris hints file needs to know if
> we're using gcc, and it used to try to compile the gcc/test_c.in
> program.  Now, it has to add in -Iinclude/ to pick up
> <parrot/compilers.h> which does the #ifdef dance around all the
> attributes.  All this compilication just to see if we're using gcc.
>
> A much better plan, in my humble opinion, is to revert most of these
> changes and simply make a *new* test_c.in file,
> config/auto/attributes/test_c.in.  Each test file can then concentrate
> on doing one test.
>
> Thanks for listening,

you're right, on all points. i hacked that code in to get msvc
working, and figured i'd clean up the damage later. sorry, i didn't
think of testing icc before i committed--of course it'll break.

i don't expect to have the tuits until monday, though. hopefully
somebody will step in before then and clean up the mess andy and i
made. otherwise, i'll get to it first when i'm available.
~jerry