On 8/19/07, David Romano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The patch splits string.t (originally almost 3000 lines) into different
> files, as well as moves some of the tests for sprintf into
> t/op/sprintf_tests. The patch applies cleanly to r20722. I'm working my
> way down this list:

test refactoring is a good thing. however, there are some places to be
careful, and t/op/sprintf.t is one of them. from the docs:

===
These tests are based on sprintf tests from perl 5.9.4.

Tests sprintf, excluding handling of 64-bit integers or long
doubles (if supported), of machine-specific short and long
integers, machine-specific floating point exceptions (infinity,
not-a-number ...), of the effects of locale, and of features
specific to multi-byte characters (under the utf8 pragma and such).

Individual tests are stored in the C<sprintf_tests> file in the same
directory; There is one test per line. In each test, there are three
required fields:
===

perhaps it's not explicit enough in the description, but
F<sprintf_tests> is copied directly from perl's repository. modifying
this file is not recommended, as future synchronizations from a newer
perl will likely overwrite previous parrot customizations. instead, i
suggest t/op/sprintf.t be modified to handle multiple files, and a new
file (perhaps F<sprintf_parrot>) be created including the new test
data.
~jerry