I am not sure what to quote so let me reply on a clean page.

I would like to see invalid configuration options and values as being always
fatal. They indicate some kind of user error, a typo or similar that would
probably cause trouble to the Parrot developer as well as the Parrot user.

In order to archive that I wonder if it would be possible to allow two methods:

1) The individual configuration step could report an error as a return value
so the harness can decide if this particular failure is fatal or not.
2) In addition the individual configuration step could declare a fatal error
    (e.g. by die-ing) that would be respected by the harness and reported
    as fatal.

Gabor