On 10/16/07, via RT chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by  chromatic
>

> Here's a nifty little patch that adds a new runcore which runs a full GC cycle
> after each op.  As you might expect, it takes a bit longer than normal tests
> (so I don't really recommend it for running the shootouts), but it has the
> possibility of finding GC bugs very thoroughly.  ...

nice!

i've modified the runcore option for parrot, so this patch won't apply
as is. it's no big deal to change it, since it's a small and
straightforward patch. i'll do it over the weekend if you don't beat
me to it.

> I used the -X flag because it wasn't taken, but I'm happy to rename it to a
> better alternative.

i say you forget about a single-letter flag, and go with the new
syntax, for example -R gc or --runcore=gc.

~jerry

by the way, i've been thinking about adding a runcore with pre- and
post-opcode hooks. a user could provide them in a library file that's
linked in, allowing folks to write their own runcores without
modifying any parrot core code (making maintenance of custom parrot
builds easier.) it may also require or benefit from a registration
system for runcores, so more could be added, but i'm not sure
(especially at this point) that that's necessary. thoughts?