I think it can be solved by adding a precondition the identifier rule,

for instance, like so:

rule identifier {
   <!keyword> <[a-zA-Z]>*
}

(an identifier is a series of letters, but it's not in "keyword"; not sure
if the <! ... > syntax is still valid, or that it was changed recently).

rule keyword {
   | 'if'
   | 'then'
   | 'else'
}

Is such a construct there in lua.pg? I had a short look but could not find
it. May have overlooked it, though.

kjs