On Sat Nov 24 13:26:01 2007, bernhard wrote:
> On Mi. 05. Jul. 2006, 12:17:12, bernhard wrote:
>
> > > Contrive things so that no code whatsover must be maintained outside
> > > of the language specific directory. This includes:

[snip]

> config/gen/languages.pm handles the configuration of languages.
> Primarily configuration is the generation of the file LANGUAGE/Makefile.
> I propose that languages should follow the 'dotnet' way, that does
> configuration with:
>
>    cd LANGUAGE; perl Configure.pl.

I can foresee problems with using Configure.pl to do this, because it
adds an additional requirement to what Configure.pl must accomplish and
therefore constrains how Configure.pl may evolve in the future.

Over the last year a lot of my work has been aimed at getting code *out*
of Configure.pl and into modules located (mostly) in the
lib/Parrot/Configure/ directory tree.  Subroutines and methods from
those modules are then called by Configure.pl as needed -- as well as
being called by tests in t/configure/ which are designed to mimic
various aspect of Configure.pl's functionality.

There was one case where the purpose of code in Configure.pl was
different from initial configuration:  the case where Parrot developers
wanted to re-generate just one Makefile after initial configuration had
completed.  I recommended taking that functionality out of Configure.pl,
modularizing it, then calling that from a *different* script,
tools/dev/reconfigure.pl.

Perhaps this is the approach we should take for configuration of
language makefiles.

kid51