--- Alex Kapranoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Â ×òâ, 29/11/2007 â 07:18 +0100, James Fuller ïèøåò:
> > >
> > > Because it's not necessary for getting and installing other
> > > extension modules.
> > >
> > > The criterion for including a module in the core is "Is this
> > > necessary to get and install other modules?" not "Why not
> > > include this module?"
> >
> > I read this statement as saying that perl's core main purpose is to
> > enable extension versus be a useful programing language ?

You say that as if they were somehow mutually exclusive.
It's accomplishing one via the other.

> > feels like we are externalizing what I would call build artifacts
> > of a language .... e.g. a distro of Perl 6 should be easy to adopt
> > and easy to use immediately ..... I would like to see some basic
> > level of XML support in this distro.
> >
> > I understand that there can be different distros customized to
> > certain problem domains, but as explained I see XML as common to
> > all those problem domains.
>
> But is it? I'm sure you can easily find lots of people using Perl
> professionally without any need of an XML parser/processor. Just like
> database or web libraries. Why do you consider XML something
> essential without also insisting on all the other technologies
> people use in Perl?

I've been using Perl for ten years, and I've used tons of CGI and DBI
and even a good bit of ACME, but I've never needed XML at all. Not
everyone does things the way you do, and I'm glad I didn't have to
spend out very limited disk space on features we didn't need.

Yeah, disk is cheap now, but don't assume everyone has the same
resources, needs, or red tape you have.

Paul

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.