On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, James Keenan wrote:

> The patch attached proposes to refactor Parrot configuration step
> class inter::progs into two classes:  inter::compiler and inter::progs.
>
> inter::compiler will search for a C compiler, process any --cc option
> set on the command line and, if interactive configuration has been
> requested via command-line option --ask, prompt the user for the
> location of the desired C compiler.  It will then conduct a basic
> test of that compiler's functioning.  If interactive configuration
> has been requested, this step will print the introductory information
> currently printed by inter::progs.

I don't think this will work.  Specifically, to conduct a "basic test of
that compiler's functioning" you need to compile *and link* a program, but
you haven't picked a linker yet.  (Recall that at least on VMS and Win32,
the linker can be a distinct program from the compiler.)  You also haven't
given the the user any opportunity to supply the appropriate ccflags that
might be needed to compile with this particular compiler.  For example, if
you are using an add-on compiler that uses a non-standard #include
directory, you might need to add a flag something like gcc's -nostdinc to
get even a simple program compiling. For example, the Tendra compiler
(tcc) won't ordinarily work without some added flags, such as -Ysystem.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]