this morning pdd00 was updated by Allison about what should and what should
not go into PDDs.

>From that document:

PDDs don't generally discuss the implementation details.  Low-level
implementation documentation, the maintainer's guides, should go in the
relevant F<docs/dev/*.pod> file.

First of all, I certainly agree with this POV (even though I myself tend to
put in details in stuff that i update, for instance PDD19. The thing is, I
don't have a better solution where to store these details. I could leave
them out, but then the info is lost except for people who knew this stuff
already. Newcomers are certainly not included.).

Indeed, docs/dev/ contains several documents about implementation details.
However, docs/dev doesn't seem to be much structured yet. Moreover, docs/
also contains docs with impl. details. (should the go intodocs/dev/?)
Of course, it is a good thing to have docs at all, but IMHO, it would be a
good thing to have more clarity or a standard way for organizing this, just
as PDDs are organized well.

Often, when looking for docs on something, it's not entirely clear where one
must look; at least to me. I can imagine for new people this might be the
case een more.
I'm not criticizing the current state, and I certainly don't want to take
too much time that otherwise could be spent on features; I guess I don't
have a better solution handy, but  I merely want to mention this and see how
other people feel about this, and maybe trigger some discussion on how to
manage documentation properly.

Just some thoughts.

kjs