On Dec 19, 2007 11:30 PM, Allison Randal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Next month's development milestone is the implementation of the new PMC
> spec. This milestone involves many small tasks, which can be divided up
> pretty easily between a handful of people. Now that Jonathan's shipped
> the release, here's a handful of tasks that could be picked off at
> various skill levels:
>
> - Update all method definitions in all PMCs to be PCCMETHODs instead of
> METHODs.

I skimmed through pdd17, and unless I misread, I can't see an explanation of
the difference between PCCMETHOD and METHOD.
IIUC, all occurrences of METHOD will become PCCMETHOD ....

> - Modify Pmc2c so METHOD means the same thing as PCCMETHOD. (This change
> will need a deprecation cycle.)
> - Do a search-and-replace changing all instances of 'PCCMETHOD' to
> 'METHOD'.

... which brings me to this: why replace PCCMETHOD to METHOD?  What's the
difference?

> - Wishlist: Make it possible to use the short form of PCCINVOKE from
> everywhere, not just inside PCCMETHODS. (The longer form of
> Parrot_PCCINVOKE is possible elsewhere, but the syntax is unwieldy.)
>
> - Modify Pmc2c to allow a VTABLE modifier in front of vtable function
> definitions similar to METHOD. (At least partially completed already,
> possibly fully completed.)
> - Add VTABLE to all vtable function declarations in all PMCs in the
> system.
>
> - Change the names of shortcuts in implementation: 'SELF' becomes
> 'STATICSELF' and 'DYNSELF' becomes 'SELF'. (The full change will need a
> deprecation cycle, but 'STATICSELF' can be introduced now.)
> - Do a human-guided replacement of 'SELF', most cases that currently use
> the static 'SELF' should continue using the dynamic 'SELF'. A few will
> need to use 'STATICSELF'.

What are the rules that guide any replacement? When to use SELF (=DYNSELF)
and when to use STATICSELF?

> - Do a search-and-replace update of all instances of 'DYNSELF' and
> change to 'SELF'.
>
> Let me know if you'd like to work on one of these tasks.
>
> Thanks,
> Allison

kjs