I cleaned up a few loose ends on this today.  Example:
config/init/hints/vms.pm:  This class had overwritings of cc_build and
cc_run which I adapted to the new approach, i.e., pass $conf as first
argument.

I have no way to test on VMS and I don't think we ever get smoke tests
on VMS, so this will have to be validated at some future point.

I will be opening a new ticket in which Parrot::Configure::Step is
renamed something like Parrot::Configure::Compiler::Utils and
Parrot::Configure::Step::Base is renamed Parrot::Configure::Step.

Otherwise, this ticket is resolved.