> I am starting to implement a GLUT and OpenGL binding for Parrot.  GLUT
> is extremely callback-oriented.  You essentially can't do anything
> beyond open the top-level window until callbacks are functional.  You
> can't even draw in that window -- the rendered image never actually
> appears, and in fact the window itself is simply transparent with just
> the chrome showing.

I started down this path several months ago.  The following is the thread on
the topic.

http://tinyurl.com/3crzpu

In that short thread, Allison Randall responded with:

 The immediate solution, to get OpenGL working now without waiting for
 the implementation of the concurrency scheduler and JITed call/callback
 thunks, is to add a few more callback signatures to the current set of
 alternatives, and to write a little bit of custom C code for the cases
 that can't pass dispatch information in a user data argument.

It appears that NCI is on the roadmap a couple of months out (or more), but
that when it is done it will be done right - for some definition of right.
I would've put more work into a temporary solution, but real life has
interfered.

I'm glad to see other people interested in OpenGL on parrot.  When the NCI PDD
is up for drafting, it will be good to have a listing of sample libraries and
required callback signatures available.

I'm excited about the progress Parrot is making.

Paul